Kamis, 12 Oktober 2017

ASKING FOR AND SHOWING ATTENTION

The Legend of Minos, King of Crete
Once upon a time there lived a very famous king, named the King of Crete. He had a stepson which was half bull and half man. He ordered Daedalus, a craftsman from Athens, to build a labyrinth in order to house the monster. When Daedalus finished his work, he wanted to leave Crete. But the king would not let him go.
Daedalus finally escaped through the air by using wings fixed to his body with wax. He also made wings for his son, Icarus and made him fly behind himself. But the son was so glad and excited that he soon went too high. As he flew nearer to the sun, it got warmer and warmer until at last the wax melted and his body fell down into the sea near Troy. The sea is now called the Icarian Sea.

Say It Right
• strange
• fighting
• monster
• myth
• Greek
• prince
• killed
• half bull
• half man
• Athens
Get It Right

Ways to say it: Asking for and showing attention

When you tell a story, you can use questions to attract your listeners’ attention. Whereas when you listen to a story, you can use several expressions to show that you are paying attention to what is being talked about.


Asking for attention
• Excuse me, I wonder if I could trouble you ….
• May I have your attention, please?
• Excuse me, ….
• Sorry to trouble you.
• Sorry to bother you.
• Look at me!
• Look what I’ve got here.
• Look here.
• Look!
• Hey!
• Attention, please!
• Excuse me!


Showing attention
• I see. - Tell me more about it.
• Oh, yes. - Really?
• Mmm... - Oh, my God! What happens next?
• A ha... - And then what?
• How interesting! - What’s next?
• I know what you mean. - Is that all?
• Oh, oh! - Indeed?
• Well, well, well… - Oh, no!


Ways to say it: Inviting someone

Offering an invitation:
• I’d like you to come to dinner.
• I’d like to ask you to come swimming.
• Would you like to go to the theater with me on Saturday night?
• How about going to the football match with me tomorrow afternoon?

Accepting an invitation:
• Thank you, I’d be glad to go.
• Yes, thank you. I’d be happy to go.
• Thank you so much for inviting me.
• Let’s meet at the school canteen.
• Yes, I’d love to.
• Sure.
• Great.
• All right.

Declining an invitation
• I’m so sorry, I’ll be very busy tomorrow night.
• I’m afraid that’s not too good fro me, what about after lunch?

Get It Right

Ways to say: Expressing sympathy

When you hear someone is hurt or sad, express your sympathy with the following expressions.

Offering condolences:
• I’m sorry.
• I’m sorry to hear about your father.
• I’m sorry to hear that your little Tweetie died.
• Let me offer my condolences.
• Let me tell you how sorry I am to hear about your grandmother.
• I know how you must feel.
• You must feel terrible about losing your brother like that.


Responding to condolences
• Thank you.
• That’s very kind of you.
• There’s nothing that can be done about it.
• It’s God’s will, I suppose.
• God gives and God takes away.
• That’s life.



Moving Forward

Part B. First Challenge. While you read the following fable, listen and pay attention to the intonation of the story teller. Then, answer the following questions.

The Fly and the Bull

There was once a little fly who thought he was very important. He felt proud of himself. One sunny morning, he flew around looking for someone to talk to. He saw a bull grazing in a field. He decided to fly down to talk to him.
The little fly flew down and buzzed around the bull’s head. The bull did not bother him. He went on chewing grass.
The fly then buzzed right inside the bull’s ear. The bull continued chewing grass. The fly thought, “What a stupid animal!”
Now, the fly decided to land on the bull’s horns to make the bull notice him. He waited for the bull to say something but the bull kept quiet.
The fly then shouted angrily, “Oh, Bull, if you find that I am too heavy for you, let me know and I’ll fly away!”.
The bull laughed and said, “Little fly, I don’t care if you stay or leave. You are so tiny and that your weight does not make any difference to me, so please be quiet and leave me alone. ”


Part C. Second Challenge. Does a fable always talk about animals? Listen to Mike, telling the story of ‘the Silver Key’. While listening, fill in the blank spaces with the words you hear.

The Silver Key

There was a traveler going to a distant town. When he reached the town it was almost midnight. He came to an inn but it locked from the inside. He knocked at the door. “Who are you?” asked a voice from inside the inn. “What do you want? The door cannot be unlocked at such an odd hour”. The traveler needed rest, food and shelter. He said, “Please, innkeeper, unlock the door. See, how cold outside!”

“It’s a strange lock and can be opened only with a silver key,” replied the innkeeper. The traveler passed a silver coin through a slit in the door, got the door unlocked and entered into the inn.
“I have left one of my two bags outside,” said the traveler. “Will you please bring it in?”
No sooner had the innkeeper gone out than traveler locked the door from inside. The greedy innkeeper was now shut out. He requested the traveler to unlock the door. “I’m helpless,” replied the traveler. “It’s a strange lock. It can be opened only with a silver key. The innkeeper was obliged to push through the slit a silver coin. The traveler got back his rupee and unlocked the door.


EmoticonEmoticon